29 January 2008

Saturday 26 January 2008

So... We've been in London for almost 20 months (well I speak for myself, Amy has been here longer), and today I stumbled into an area I have yet to explore while I was out working on my "Bridge Project".

On the south side of the Thames across from the City of London is the Southwark (pronounced "suth-ick") and Bankside areas, a veritable goldmine of new sites and pubs I have yet to sample. Wandering through the narrow cobble stoned alleyways I stumbled across the site of the original Clink Prison (now a campy museum) that originated back to the 12th century.

Walk further... and one will see the recreation of Sir Francis Drake's "Golden Hinde", the vessel he circumnavigated the globe with in the 16th century.

Meander a bit further and one will see the Southwark Cathedral. The oldest Gothic church building in London has been associated with the likes of Chaucer, Shakespeare and Dickens. One of the things on my list now is to come back and visit this magnificent place more thoroughly as soon as I can.

Speaking of Shakespeare and Dickens, I found it fitting to sit and have a pint at the George Inn, the last surviving galleried coaches inn in London. Rebuilt in 1676 both of these literary giants have known the hospitality of this establishment... and now... so have I.

Making my way back to the tube station I inadvertently stumbled into the Borough Market, regarded as one of the largest open food markets in the world.

So... what does one snack on when in the famous Borough Market?? Not just any banger... and not just posh bangers... but THREE VERY posh bangers in a bap. Translation? Three sausages in a hamburger-type roll. Very posh... and VERY tasty.

Not only was it an entertaining afternoon of new adventures and culinary delights, but also one of philosophical enlightenment... because remember:

No comments: