20 January 2008

Saturday 19 January 2008

Amy has been in Houston for the last week (returning next weekend) leaving me all by myself. What to do? WHAT to do?

First thing was to visit the National Army Museum in Chelsea. I KNOW Amy will be sick knowing she missed this opportunity to view the displayed history associated with the British armies from the Redcoat era up to the present day, so please… if you see her this week, console her.

There were no pictures allowed in the museum, so I now see fit to “unveil” my latest project: London’s Bridges. From the iconic Tower Bridge to the very plain, yet historic London Bridge, the River Thames is crossed by some very interesting structures.

Our first visit will be the bridge I see twice a day from the train on my commute into the office, the Chelsea Bridge.



Connecting Chelsea with Battersea this suspension bridge was opened in 1934 replacing the original that was built in 1858. At night it becomes a spectacular site as it is illuminated with hundreds of light bulbs.


If you are interested in the large four smoke stacked structure behind the bridge, that’s the abandoned Battersea Power Station. The former coal-fueled power plant still remains the largest brick built structure in Europe and is still a dominate part of London’s city-scape.

No comments: