25 August 2008

Monday 25 August 2008

"This is the room from which I will direct the war." - Winston Churchill

Today I visited the Cabinet War Rooms, the underground bunker system from which Winston Churchill and his cabinet members ran the logistics of World War II.

Abandoned and sealed soon after the war, the Cabinet meeting room, the map room and several of the offices still maintain their original condition with authentic maps still on the walls and the original phones.

It was really fascinating seeing the conditions that they worked under round the clock for years as London was being bombed by Nazi Germany.

Walking back towards the flat from the War Rooms I heard the Royal Guard Band playing for the Changing of the Guard at the barracks (just prior to leaving towards the Palace). Normally, this wouldn't have been such a big deal except they were playing "I've Got Rhythm" and "Minnie the Moocher". So I traipsed over (as one does) to catch the show. As they began their march towards the Palace they chose to play Elmer Bernstein's march from the movie "Stripes".

I wish I was a loofah.

No comments: