27 June 2008

Saturday through Sunday 14-22 June 2008

Santorini

Known for its brilliant sunset views and blue domed churches, this collapsed volcanic caldera didn’t disappoint. Every turn was as if you were looking at a postcard. And let me answer this straight away. NO… Amy did NOT ride a donkey.

We visited traditional Santorini villages, got a panoramic view of the island from the monastery of Prophet Elias, sunned at the black sand beaches of Kamari, tasted wine at a local winery, and meandered our way through the labyrinth of narrow streets in search of the perfect beer.

We experienced the town of Oia, which some say has the best sunsets in the world, but it was its cliff-side townscape that struck us as the most beautiful.



Before visiting Oia, I had the opportunity to explore two small villages, Pyrgos and Megalochori where I was in my element armed with my camera and lots of free time.



No comments: