11 August 2007

Saturday 11 August 2007

Four down and three to go...

Yes... on a perfect sunny, summer day...

I chose to spend it...

in a cemetery.

Go ahead, think what you want... It's not like I don't know I have quirky tendencies.

To be more specific, I visited Brompton Cemetery, one of the "Magnificent Seven" Victorian garden cemeteries.

Started in 1840, this 40 acre cemetery is the only one that has been and remains under the care of the Royal Parks system. It shows as it if far more well kept than any other of the Victorian cemeteries I've visited. The centerpiece of the grounds is the chapel which was patterned after St. Peter's Basilica and square in Rome.

As with the other sites, Brompton had its share of interesting monuments and typical Victorian angel markers. What I found interesting was how many people visit the grounds as they would a regular park. Joggers, roller bladers, and dog walkers occupied most of the paths, as well as, people reading books sitting under trees. So... maybe I'm not that "strange" after all.

There was some "original" statuary... which is what always makes walking throughout the grounds worthwhile.

No comments: