02 February 2007

Friday 2 February 2007

So what did YOU do today??

Amy was still in Hamburg (drinking at a brewery last time I heard), and it was my Friday off. Sooooo... I ventured into the Mayfair area and of all things had a shave at Geo. F. Trumper. One of those hot towel, lather, open straight razor, leather strop type shaves.

Why?? Because I can, that's why.

Geo. F. Trumper itself was a pretty cool little place. Established in 1875 it is recognised as the finest gentleman’s barber in London. It was quite the upscale establishment and I was completely out of my element. I wonder how many guys wearing jeans EVER walk in there? Who cares… I’d do it again.

After a shave, where does one go for lunch??

Well… why not the same establishment that Frank Sinatra has tried. Seemed like a natural fit. The Guinea is a 17th century traditional pub that has the distinction of winning the Steak & Kidney Pie Championship of Britain three times. I’m slowly learning there are several ways to present the traditional meat pie. This was different than anyone I’ve had, and if it weren’t for the kidney part… probably the best. I think I’ll stick to just steak and ale ones from now on, thankyouverymuch.

On my walk home, I passed the American Embassy (which they wouldn’t allow me to photograph), the Memorial to 911, and Reformer’s Tree in Hyde Park. Funny… I was expecting a real tree for some reason.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What is the memorial to 911?

ramy_v said...

The September 11 Memorial is a garden located in Grosvenor Square, opposite of the U.S. Embassy. Click HERE for more details.

Since it's winter the gardens were dormant and pictures don't do the memorial justice. I'll go back when things are in bloom.