19 August 2006

Friday 18 August 2006

Amy’s friend Dana-Leigh told us that if we try to schedule trips around the British weather that we’d never get to see anything. With that in mind, and a forecast of potential downpours, we packed up umbrellas and ponchos and took a day trip out to Bath along with stops at Windsor Castle and Stonehenge.


Compared to the other Royal palaces we’ve visited I was disappointed with Windsor, but it was still impressive. The best part was the Albert Memorial Chapel. Shame photos weren't allowed.

This was my second visit to Stonehenge, but Amy’s first. My first guide gave me far more insight to Stonehenge than today’s so, of course, I filled Amy in on the more interesting tidbits of information (none of which included alien intervention). However, we were treated to what I jokingly referred to as a Druid initiation. A couple of adults draped in burlap with animal skull sceptres were parading around the stones with several school aged children banging on drums and playing a recorder. Just a very odd sight that wasn’t in the tour brochure.

The Georgian spa city of Bath was something else. All the buildings (by law) are constructed of limestone with no brick ever to be used. We toured the site of the original Roman Baths (fed by the only hot mineral spring in England) dating back to the 1st century, and briefly walked through Bath Abbey with its fan faulted ceiling and flying buttress construction. Amy and I decided that we are definitely coming back to spend a weekend getaway here.

We missed most of the rain today as the downpours occurred while intransit between sites. The ominous clouds only added to the mystery of Stonehenge. I have already found the website for the Bath Spa and will keep it in mind for a weekend escape. The bus tours don't offer much time in each location, but they are great for giving the overview and highlights.

Earlier this week I went with a friend to see the musical Mary Poppins. Elizabeth and I had a wonderful night out and had really great seats at the show. I had forgotten most of the story, but did remember a few of the songs! Yes - we were singing along by the end.

No comments: