22 July 2006

Friday 21 July 2006

British Open time!! Although it seems that “we” (the American “we”) only refer to it that way as here it’s The Open. Since this year The Open was at Royal Liverpool-Hoylake instead of Scotland I decided, what the heck; it’s only a 3 hour train ride to Liverpool, then another 30 minute ride out to the course.

First thing: not a very “pretty course”, the drought had the fairways and greens looking splotchy, plus walking the course it was DUSTY. –cough, hack- No trees, no water (while the ocean is right there, it’s away from layout), just the pot bunkers and very high rough. Of course, my only experience with a links style course until today was Southwyke.

Arrived around 10:30 AM, and got my tee time/players group program. Started at the 18th hole and started working my way back to see the course. Watched Chris DiMarco hit a shot in the 14th fairway, then made way to between the 14th tee and the par 3-13th green. Since Tiger was a few groups back the crowds were huge right here. I stayed and watched Jose Maria Olazabal, Chad Campbell, Adam Scott and their groups play through until the Messiah himself hit his shot.

Tiger was playing with Nick Faldo so I revelled in the fact the he received the better ovation (me included as I can not STAND Tiger Woods). Woods almost put one in the pot bunker which would have made my day. Watched them play and tee off on 14 (again Faldo received the most cheers), then moved down to the 13th tee and found a place to sit down. From that vantage point I watched David Duval, David Love III, Retief Goosen and Tom Watson hit their tee shots. Tom Watson is adored here and again received the greatest ovation.

Started working my way backwards through the course again and camped out in the only shade on the course between the 4th green and 5th tee. Within the groups that passed through there was angel Cabrera, Ben Curtis, Fat Tim Herron (who smokes constantly in between shots), Sergio Garcia and Freddie Couples.

Moving on, I set up at the 3rd green and 4th tee as Ernie Els, Jim Furyk and Vijay Singh passed through in consecutive groups. After them I made my way back to find Phil Mickelson (the last big name player I wanted to see) who also was grouped with Darren Clarke. Found him finishing up on the 2nd hole and was able to stand by the walkway as they headed to the next tee box. I followed him until his three putt bogey on hole seven.

It was his scrambling into the rough right, then again into the rough left par on the fifth that gave me an opportunity for TV time (anyone see me?). I was right behind the rope line as he dealt with his drops to get a line of sight around the temporary scoreboard. Plus, as I made my way through the course on my way home I almost got plunked by a wayward tee shot by Warren Bladon. Had he been someone, I might have been on TV again.

Observation: I found it weird that so many spectators found it necessary to wear golf shoes to WATCH golf.

No comments: